Today’s image for Day 342 of the VM_365 project shows an oft overlooked stone building, constructed in 1828 to a design by the architect John Shaw and located on the west side of Ramsgate Royal Harbour.
Constructed of Ashlar blocks, with a slate roof, this structure was a purpose built Powder Magazine erected on the south west end of the harbour cross wall. The Powder Magazine had two doors at either end and was designed as a safety measure to hold up to 600 barrels of gunpowder from the various ships that were at anchor in the harbour.
With such combustible contents, powder magazines were designed with thick walls and thin roofs so that in the event of an accidental explosion the blast would be forced upwards through the roof rather than outwards through the walls. This would hopefully minimize the effects of the explosion; including the risk of spreading fires, on the people, wooden ships and other property in the harbour.