In 1924, a Roman building known as Tivoli Villa was discovered while laying out new roads on the west side of Margate. The building was discovered at the southern end of the new Tivoli Park Avenue and was excavated and recorded by Dr Arthur Rowe. Only a single photograph, shown above, and a sketch plan survive although Roman finds from the site are at Margate Museum and the British Museum.
The walls of the building were constructed from flint and there was also evidence of painted plaster and mosaic floors. The layout of the part that Rowe excavated suggests that the structure was foundations of a series of rooms from a much larger range of buildings.